Canadian Workplace Skills
Tourism Hospitality, and Services with Co-op

Program Overview (Program approved by PTIB)

The more you know about Canada, the more confident you are communicating in English, the more you know about the fundamentals of business, the better you will be able to adapt to the Canadian work environment. The Canadian Workplace Skills programs provide students with an orientation to Canada, the education environment, English language and communication skills, and employment readiness. Each one of the programs focuses on different sectors of industry.

The Tourism, Hospitality, and Services (Co-operative Diploma) program provides all of the areas described above as well as a focus on the tourism, hotel, and service sectors of BC’s economy.

The courses are provided with a variety of activities via classroom, guest speakers, observations, in-class practice, and field trips. it also includes a co-op placement to apply the knowledge and skills gained in class.

Students will be able to gain work experience in tourism jobs, accommodations and hospitality, food and beverage services, and retail/wholesales sales and services – a wide spectrum of opportunities. The purpose of the work experience is to introduce students to all of the wonders of British Columbia, its people and places, and gain comfort in working in a variety of services meeting customer’s needs.

Graduates will be able to comfortably communicate in various forms, provide excellent customer service and general sales activities, work as a team or independently with a confidence with understanding their work environment and the employer’s policies and business practices. The graduate will be confident in their decisions for their future career path or educational goals.

The schedule and program end date are subject to change due to the student’s academic performance, course availability, academic breaks, additional electives, and study permit status.

Transfer Credits

10 courses from this program transfer into PLC’s business hospitality management programs. Students can choose to transfer into PLC’s longer program after completing these CWS: THS courses.

Program Details

7 Months of Theory Courses + 5 Months of Work Experience

Theory Courses
    CPDT100 | College Success Strategies and Orientation (20 hours)
    CMTY101 | The Canadian Community (40 hours)
    CMTY102 | The BC Experience (40 hours)
    CMNS089 | Canadian Interactions (40 hours)
    ENGL099 | Business, Professional, and Technical English (40 hours)
    CMNS110 | Business Communication Essentials (40 hours)
    CMNS155 | Intercultural Business Communications (40 hours)
    THMT115 | Principles of Hotel Front Office Operations (40 hours)
    FOOD105 | Food Service Basics (40 hours)
    THMT105 | Practical Customer Service (40 hours)
    THMT155 | Introduction to Tourism and Hospitality in BC (40 hours)
    GEOG155 | British Columbia in a Global Context (40 hours)
    FOOD155 | Essential Skills of the Culinary Trades (40 hours)
    CPDT099 | Working in the Canadian Workplace (40 hours)
Work Experience (Excluded in Associate Diploma)
    COOP120-THS | Co-operative Education: Tourism, Hospitality, and Service (400 hours)

Fee Structure

Fees (in CAD) International Students Domestic Students
Tuition Fee $9,900 $7,900
Assessment Fee $250 $0
Application Fee $1,000 $250
Administration Fee $2,200 $2,200
Other Fee $300 $0
Textbook Fee $438 $438
Course Material Fees $320 $320
Total Fees $14,408 $11,108

Tuition refunds are based on policy stated in the college’s enrolment agreement and bound by the Private Training Act Regulation.


  • High school graduates or mature student status (19 years or older at start of program)
  • Language requirement (recommended for optimum success)
    • Grade 10 level English or communications course (pass) or
    • IELTS 5.0 (4.5 Academic) or equivalent; or
    • TOEFL 35-45; or
    • PTE Academic (Minimum 29 Overall); or
    • CLB 5; or
    • CAEL 30; or
    • CELPIP 6; or
    • Duolingo 65-70 (; or
    • College entrance test (50% minimum); or equivalent
  • International students must comply with the requirements of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada in respect to study permit.

For more information on language requirements where internationally-recognized tests and other equivalencies are accepted, please consult with our admissions staff.